Saturday, February 21, 2009

The 5-Minute Shower


Mike McCarty is great. Even when he is on vacation he is looking for something that will help our group. So when he recently returned from a trip to Chicago, he brought back an idea from the Shedd Aquarium - the 5-minute shower timer. Apparently they give them to you for free, and he wondered if we would like some. And we all enthusiastically said yes! Well, that's not quite true - some in our group are a little protective of their somewhat longer showers, and remained diplomatically silent, but in the end we all agreed to try them. That's taking it for the team!

At last week's Tuesday meeting Mike brought a bag of probably 25 of these timers. Each of us took one and decided we'd talk about how they work next week. They affix to your glass shower door, as shown in our bathroom, above, or to your shower wall. I tried ours out the first day and proudly timed in at 4 minutes. I actually stared at the thing for the final minute, watching the last few crystals make their way downward, wasting all kinds of water and defeating the purpose, I suppose. I always knew I took a pretty short shower (probably due to the fact that while growing up I was competing for bathroom space with 2 sisters), and I'm sure this is why I had no problem trying it out in the first place. But lest you think I am a world-class brownie, I can divulge here and now that I do NOT shut off the water when I brush my teeth - I'm more of a brush-brush-spit-rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat person. Sorry.

So for those of you who tried your timers once and then hid it in the linen closet....I understand. But, Mike, we thank you.

1 comment:

MollyB said...

I want one. I was thinking about putting a clock in the shower. When I was hiking in Olympic Nat'l Park last year, there were coin operated showers. We discovered that we could actually soap and rinse twice in 1.5min.