Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Training the Neighbors


Many of you may know that Tom and I begin to gather our neighbors' leaves this time of year to put on our woodsy area in our backyard. It serves as a good mulch and provides rich nutrition to the soil. Right now is prime gathering time but we are currently distracted by 2 things: the Green Garage work, and our recent vacation up north. So we haven't been able to take the short drive around the neighborhood yet to rob our neighbors of their organic gold. I'm sure they're disappointed because it has to be great fodder for neighborly conversations for months to come. Anyway, we arrived home from vacation late Monday night, and Tuesday morning while I was sipping my tea waiting for the sun to rise, I saw some forms out in the garden that I couldn't quite place. Was it a deer sleeping out there? As the sky lightened, I saw that our considerate neighbors behind us had taken their leaf bags and deposited them in our garden, knowing that we needed them. I think I'll take them over some cookies, and hope they spread the word. Maybe next year ALL of our neighbors will make a donation, saving us the effort of even going out. And that, folks, is how you train your neighbors.

No comments: