Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Native gardening


A couple of years ago we began covering half of our back lawn with leaves and wood chips and planting a woodlands area with mostly native Michigan species. This year we have seen the fruits of our labors. It has been a show all summer, and we have never watered once. Now, I'll admit that it has been a pretty wet year, but even so, or annuals still need watering. But not our native area! I can honestly say it has been maintenance-free. I know I can say that because I hold a special attraction for mosquitos, so I don't even go out to weed after early July.

The picture below shows the border between my 'traditional' perennial bed on the left and the rain garden on the right. I don't know if you can see it from the photo, but the rain garden plants are about 2-3 feet taller than the traditional ones. Our milkweed plants must be 7 ft this year. We're loving the rain!

No comments: